Startup Visa Lithuania
To become a country of two thousand startups, Lithuania must become attractive not only for local innovators, but also for startups from other countries. Founded in 2017, Startup Visa aims to attract ambitious foreign startups to develop their products in Lithuania. Entrepreneurs from third countries participating in the program can take advantage of simplified migration procedures and quickly enter the Lithuanian startup ecosystem. Applicants for a startup visa must submit a business plan, and those invited to become participants in the program receive a temporary residence permit in Lithuania.
If your company intends to carry out lawful activities related to implementation of new technologies or other innovations important for economic and social development of the Republic of Lithuania, you can apply for Startup Visa.
How can I obtain or prolong my temporary residence permit?
First of all, you must apply for a temporary residence permit electronically through the Lithuanian Migration Information System (MIGRIS) and attach digital copies of documents to this application. After submitting the application and booking the time of visit through the MIGRIS, within 4 months after the date of application through MIGRIS, you must personally apply for issuance (prolongation) of a temporary residence permit, submit biometric data and original documents. In order to issue (prolong) a temporary residence permit, you must apply to a territorial unit of the Migration Department at the booked time.
- A valid travel document;
- Letter from the state institution Versli Lietuva
The Letter from the state institution Versli Lietuva confirms that the legal activity you intend to carry out is related to implementation of new technologies or other innovations important for the economic and social development of the Republic of Lithuania, and that you have the necessary qualifications, funding and business plan to participate in this activity, and that your presence in the Republic of Lithuania, which will be a party to the company established, is necessary for activities of the company.
- If your temporary residence permit has been prolonged twice and you want to prolong your temporary residence permit for another 2 years, there must be a letter from the state institution Versli Lietuva confirming that the company that you founded and in which you are a member has attracted investments of at least 30,000 euros since the day the company was established;
- A document of sufficient means for living;
(The required amount of means for living is 1 minimum wage per month. It could be an employment contract. The funds must be sufficient for the entire period of validity of the temporary residence permit declared for at least one year);
- A document that proves that you have a dwelling in which you intend to declare your residence and that there is at least 7 square metres of living space for each adult who has declared their residence there;
- A certificate of (non)criminal record;
It is necessary only when applying for the first temporary residence permit. These are the certificates issued by the competent authorities of the foreign countries where you resided or where you currently have been residing for the last 2 years prior to your arrival in Lithuania (unless your stay abroad was shorter than 6 months for 12 months), proof of criminal records in those countries, which must be issued not later than 6 months before the date of application for a temporary residence permit, translated into Lithuanian and legalized and/or apostilled, if necessary. If you have been convicted, the certificate must state when and for what criminal act you were convicted, what punishment was imposed on you, and whether it was executed.
A certificate of no criminal record can be submitted in English (if the original is in English), or in English translation (if the original is in another language) signed by the translator.
- Health insurance document;
Health insurance must meet the following requirements:
- The insurance must guarantee payment of expenses for emergency medical care in accordance with the Law on Healthcare System of the Republic of Lithuania, and the expenses that may arise as a result of your return to another country for health reasons (transportation, including accompanying a healthcare specialist (specialists)); and
- The insurance must be valid for the entire period of validity of the requested temporary residence permit, or at least for one year.
You do not need a health insurance if you pay (will pay) or have paid the fixed social security contributions.
You can provide the health insurance:
- When completing an application for MIGRIS, or
- Provide the documents and biometric data upon arrival at the booked visit time at the Migration Department.
You have to pay the state fee for acceptance, consideration of the application for issue/prolongation of a temporary residence permit, decision-making and issue of the temporary residence permit:
- General procedure –120 euros;
- Express procedure – 240 euros;
In order to issue/prolong a temporary residence permit, the following is required:
- Central Office of the Migration Department.
Resolutions regarding temporary residence permits are made, and temporary residence permits are issued in the following terms:
- Issue of the permit:
o General procedure – within 4 months;
o Express procedure – within 2 months;
- Prolongation of the permit:
o General procedure – within 2 months;
o Express procedure – within 1 month.
- Upon arrival at the Migration Department at the booked time, your stay in Lithuania must be legal;
- When applying for issue or prolongation of a temporary residence permit, you may be issued a multiple-entry national visa for a period not more than 5 months after the date of application for issue or prolongation of a temporary residence permit in Lithuania;
- If you have been issued with a national visa valid for 1 year or several national visas valid for 1 year, and you intend to apply for a temporary residence permit, in order to stay in Lithuania while your application is being processed, you must submit this application 2-4 months before the expiry date of your national visa.
How many times can I get a temporary residence permit for a startup?
A temporary residence permit to a startup is issued for one year. This permit, which can be prolonged twice a year, is confirmed in writing by the state institution Versli Lietuva, that the legal activity you intend to engage in is related to implementation of new technologies or other innovations that are important for economic and social development of the Republic of Lithuania, and that you have the necessary qualifications, funding, and business plan to participate in this activity, and that you, who will be a participant of the established company, need to present in the Republic of Lithuania for operation of this company. If your temporary residence permit has been prolonged twice, and the state institution Versli Lietuva confirms in writing that the company you have founded and in which you are a participant, has attracted investments of at least EUR 30,000 since the day the company was established, the temporary residence permit can be prolonged for you for another 2 years.
When do I have to apply for prolongation of a temporary residence permit?
The application for prolongation of a temporary residence permit under the general procedure and the documents attached thereto shall be submitted at least 2 months in advance, while the application for prolongation of a temporary residence permit under the express procedure and the documents attached thereto shall be submitted at least 1 month before expiry of the temporary residence permit, but no longer than 4 months in advance.
Can I bring my family members with me?
You can bring your family members with you, and they can immediately apply for a temporary residence permit with you. The following are considered family members: your spouse, your registered partner, your unmarried and dependent minor children, your dependent parents if they have been dependent on you for at least 1 year, and they cannot be supported by other family members living abroad.
If you are interested in ordering this service, please contact Company in Lithuania UAB and get a consultation from our experts in the shortest possible time.